Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2007

your thoughts?




this was on the CBS morning commentary. i'm not usually a fan of the posture of rants such as this - but coming from ben stein - i thought it interesting. comment away.



My confession:
I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu . If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to...

-ben stein.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's just call it... refreshing.

When every other interviewee in Rolling Stone these days seems to be pretty convinced that anyone claims/hopes to believe in God anymore must have their head stuck in the f***ing dark ages, on top of being responsible for all the worlds ills, it just makes me... tired, I guess. Some days I just lose the will to reason with them. (in my head, that is - I haven't hung out with most of them lately)

Maybe I should just stop reading Rolling Stone... but it comes to my house for free. And what else is a guy supposed to read while he's taking a dump? The Bible?

Anonymous said...

my thought is that your blog needs a new header photo.

smile, you goon!

Cara said...

his thoughts came across a bit passive, but i can nod my head to them.

Suzanna said...

i like it, and i like your header photo too do not change

Anonymous said...

i like it. i talked with some people about that a while ago, how about often freedom of religion is turned into freedom from religion and how it is simply...stupid. and it makes me laugh since in the pledge of allegiance almost every american (as long as they say it) they say "one nation under God" and at the same time try to "get rid of" religion for about everything they can find. wasn't it that the easter bunny wasn't supposed to be called easter bunny as well anymore? ha.

anyway. andrew. i like the photo. i liked the broken piano keys as well. and oh, i love you. :)

andrew mook said...

chris b: brilliant - i laughed (i LOLed)

chris t: i'm very serious, yet i forget what i look like in serious-goon-hattage. - come play with me.

steve said...

cb- i'd recommend the book "everybody poops" it's truly a great read... and one you can feel comfortable reading.

as for the posted content - i agree with cara, too passive.