Pages

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

to see. ( two poems for perspective)

Walt Whitman

(from To See God)

Why should I wish to see God better than this day?
I see something of God each hour of the twenty four, 
and each moment then,
In the faces of men and women I see God 
and in my own face in the glass,
I see letters from God dropped in the street, 
and every one is signed by God's name.


David
(from Psalm 139)

O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thoughts from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately aquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O Lord, you know it all.
You enclosed me behind and before,
And laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it...
For you did form my inward parts;
You did weave me in my mothers womb.
I will give thanks to You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well...
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book they were all written,
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

No comments: